Saturday, April 4, 2015

Musical Flashmob

The first part of my journey was full of mystique as I found myself roaming on the streets of Frankfurt and it wasn't long until I found a hostel to rest my weary head in. I decided that I would try and bridge the gap between living in a comfortable environment where I knew no one and rebuild myself in the process because there was a growing sense,that somehow I was losing myself to the mundane of life at home. I wasnt inspired to party even after having acquired annonimity in a foreign country nor was I under any influences to check out of my reality. There were moments where I would question how big I was feeling for having taken such giant leaps to travel on my own. During the several months, I would be traveling alone, often I was struck by the feeling there is this giant big world that is in front of me and I am alone in facing it all with my nerves which felt a bit shaky at times because I didnt who i could trust or talk to. I didn't know how this brand new world was going to take me in or how I could come out unscathe by the harsh realities for a single girl walking on the lonely streets of Europe with a myriad of emotions, ranging from fear to pure ectasy having tasted freedom. I was trying to feel confident but not speaking the native language to the land, limited my expression and I used minimal expressions to get through the first few rocky days. In Frankfurt, I met a man at the train ticket office, explaining his dream to go to Rajasthan, India. I hadn't told him but he could tell that I was Indian and he just wanted to share that with me. I gave him some pointers as I just had recently been there myself. I found it interesting that our travel wish list was similar because before I went to India, I would express my flair for travel and excitement with a complete stranger. I heard loads of music and came across a free park concert held by local kids who did an impromptu drum jam with their teacher in the middle of the city centre. After the free concert, people were smiling ear to ear and putting money to encourage young musicians to keep doing what they love. They were appearing from all corners of city to play and one by one, ended up disbanding the same way. It was beautiful synchronicity as the clock struck 12' and at high noon was their great big band performance and by 1' everything was back to as it was before thry arrived as if by beautiful design. The sounds of the streets came back into focus, the conversations people were having resumed with only a happiness note left in everyone's ear. People cheered and the performers started to file out one by one as they when they first started and the conductor took a bow and all you had left were little children who felt a sense of pride of what they were part of because they were part of something bigger than themselves. I suddenly didn't feel out of place, not knowing the language. Music was the Universal language that connected us all. After I ate some food at a local coffee shop, I charged my batteries and got myself ready to see another city the next day. I knew on the train, I'd be passing Rhine river which starts southeast of the Swiss Alps and hugs six countries which include of course Switzerland, France, Austria, Liechtenstein, Netherlands, and Germany. My train journey would take me from Frankfurt to Cologne and I would be somewhere on a train travelling alongside the 1,233km long river, to my right.

No comments:

Post a Comment